“When you know better, you do better.”
Dr. Maya Angelou
Maya Angelou once said, “When you know better, you do better.” It’s a simple proposition: learn, grow, evolve and bit by bit try to be, and do, better. Not perfect, just better. When I look around at the people working to change the world; the innovators, the boundary spanners, the justice seekers, and people doing their best to be empathic and kind, smart and resourceful, I feel inspired. Listen, there are some serious problems that need to be solved, but we can do this. All we need is steady inspiration, a solid plan, resources, resolve, and each other.
I've worked on the leading edge of social enterprise and global philanthropy at the Timberland Company, carefully tended the vision of donors at the NH Charitable Foundation, and was the first Chief Philanthropic Officer of The Thomas W. Haas Foundation, where I created systems and developed strategy. This knowledge and experience allows me to:
- Help philanthropic families and individuals to clarify what they value and then work with them to develop the strategies to most effectively and purposefully direct their resources.
- Advise those seeking to be formally philanthropic about how best to organize their giving — in a foundation, a fund, or a combination of both.
- Support young people as they become inspired, thoughtful, and engaged givers.
- Assist foundations and individuals seeking to use more of their resources to build a better world through a combination of grants, impact investing, and social capital.
- Provide interim support to philanthropic organizations in transition. And technical assistance to existing institutions to strengthen their governance, systems, and grant making programs.
- Work with businesses to develop key non-profit partnerships to demonstrate brand values and raise resources to support their chosen cause.
- Accelerate the capacity of non-profits to raise revenue and diversify their funding portfolios so they can focus on mission.
While I conduct research and analysis across a range of subject areas I have a passion for strengthening sustainable food, farm, and clean energy systems.
In the year ahead I will be a Fellow in Integrated Capital with RSF Social Finance. This experience will help me discover new ways to use money to make the world a better place . . . so, please stay tuned.
If what I’ve outlined seems like it might be helpful to you, then by all means, let's talk.